Betsy Schwartz has been a doula since 1991. She considers being a doula as her calling and her passion. She established Tenth Month in South Florida in 1994. Betsy holds a master’s degree in management of human services and is a DONA International certified postpartum doula. Betsy is a founding member and former Board member of the Coalition for Improving Maternity Services. She is a member of the Citrus County Breastfeeding Coalition.
What is a postpartum doula?
The postpartum Doula helps a mother tune into her baby’s needs. By taking care of the mother’s needs, the Doula allows the mother to focus on her baby. This, in turn, helps build the new mother’s confidence in her abilities.
What do I need to know?
There are prerequisites for participants of a DONA International Postpartum Doula Training Workshop. Participants are expected to have a working knowledge of the following:
- Physical and emotional adjustment in the mother following birth
- Newborn characteristics and care
- Breastfeeding basics
- Common breastfeeding difficulties and possible solutions
the following are required BEFORE attending the training:
1. Required Reading: From the DONA International required reading list, the participant
must have completed reading one selection from each of the categories listed. Some of the books can be purchased on the DONA International website through the Doula Boutique.
2. Breastfeeding Preparation: The participant must have completed at least one of the options listed below before attending the postpartum doula training:
- Certificate of attendance of Lactation Consultant / Breastfeeding counseling education
- program or peer counseling training through LLL or local nursing mother’s group.
- Completion of an on-line breastfeeding study program.
- Proof of participation in a breastfeeding workshop (three hour minimum)
- Investigative project series with essays. This project would need to be approved by the trainer and DONA International Postpartum Committee.
Contact Betsy at (352) 527-3550, or pay via pay pal on www.tenthmonth.com. Fill in the dates and city and click the 'buy now' button. The fee is $325.
Fore more information, please contact Birthways Family Birth Center at (941) 366-BABY.